Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Dilemma

There is so much to paint here on our little farm. Life is so full, and that’s the rub. By the time I get home from work, or my studio, my time is filled with keeping things running smoothly. Hauling wood and filling the hungry bellies of the wood stoves and the hungry bellies of my family, feeding out round bales, filling water tanks, butchering deer ... Even had to show our Amish neighbors this fall how to butcher a turkey. Not that they don’t know how to butcher, they just don’t understand how we “English” like our turkeys. But it was a fun day and I came home with a turkey for ourselves.
Right now apple butter is bubbling on the wood stove, bread is rising on the warming shelf, and soup is simmering on the stove. The dishes are piled high, and I’m too tired to paint. The wind is whistling outside and the temp is dropping fast, but it’s cozy in here. Better finish up so I can head to bed.

No comments: